We're celebrating a snowy St. Patrick's Day here in Tahoe and the cold weather has us skipping the Guinness and green beer at the bar and crafting classic Irish Coffees in the comfort of our own homes instead. This caffeinated cocktail combines black coffee with a welcomed splash of Irish whiskey. We like to lightly whip some heavy cream by hand and pour it over a spoon into the mug so it sits perfectly on top. Finish it off with a dusting of nutmeg and take a seat and tip it back.
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1.5 oz Irish whiskey
- 2 sugar cubes or 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tbsp semi-whipped heavy cream
- While coffee is brewing, place heavy cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until it is frothy, yet pourable.
- Place 2 sugar cubes or 2 teaspoons brown sugar into a mug, add coffee and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add 1 shot of Irish Whiskey and stir again.
- Hold a spoon face-down directly over the mug and slowly pour the lightly whipped cream over it, allowing the cream to settle and float on top of the drink.
- Garnish with a dash of nutmeg and enjoy.